Toowoomba District Primary School Individual Chess Championship
Date: Tuesday 2 March 2021
Start Time: 8.30am arrival with a 9.00am (Sharp) start
Finish Time: Approximately 4.00pm
Venue: Highlands Christian College – Multi-Purpose Centre
Entry: $16.00 per student
Deadline 1: Friday 19 February 2021 at 5.00pm
Deadline 2: Friday 26 February 2021 at 5.00pm
Get your entry forms below using these two buttons.
The Toowoomba District Primary School Individual Chess Championship will be held on Tuesday 2 March 2021 at the Highlands Christian College (Multi-Purpose Centre) – Ruthven Street, South Toowoomba.
Dropping students at Highlands Christian College – 2 options:
1.Drop off – please use the Ruthven St entrance and drop off students in the designated drop off zone – car park attendants will direct you.
2.Park and walk student down to MPC – please use Hume St entrance, park in the top car park and walk down to MPC.
There will be car park attendants at both entrances on duty to help with directions.
Picking up students at Highlands Christian College:
4.00pm pick up.
Please use either entrance for pick up:
Ruthven St entrance will get you closer to the event venue.Hume St entrance will require you to park and walk down to the MPC.
There will be a heavy volume of traffic from 2.45 – 3.30pm due to our normal school pick for students – we ask Chess Parents to come after 3.30pm to avoid congestion.
Please arrive at 8.30am so registration can be completed in a timely manner and we can start on time at 9.00am sharp.
There will be 7 or 8 rounds based on final numbers.
This tournament is open to all primary school students, from Year 1 right up to Year 6. They can compete in one of two divisions.
- Novice division is for Years 1 to 3
- Open division is open to all levels up to Year 6
- 1st Place – Trophy (for both divisions)
- 2nd Place – Trophy (for both divisions)
- 3rd Place – Trophy (for both divisions)
- Special Award (Medallion) – Best Year 1
- Special Award (Medallion) – Best Year 2
- Special Award (Medallion) – Best Year 3
- Special Award (Medallion) – Best Year 4
- Special Award (Medallion) – Best Year 5
- Special Award (Medallion) – Best Year 6
- Outstanding Male Achievement Award (for both divisions)
- Outstanding Female Achievement Award (for both divisions)
(NOTE: only 1 prize per person)
- Each school needs to have only one representative/s (e.g. teacher) from their school for the supervision and responsibility of their students.
- Because the venue is near an oval, students may be permitted to play on it in between rounds/games.
- Due to restricted numbers we need to have 2 deadlines to give all schools a chance to enter.
- Please download entry forms using the buttons above, complete and send your completed entry forms to firstname.lastname@example.org by deadline 1 – Friday 19 February 2021.
- Initial entry forms can only have a maximum of 9 entries. (We can have a maximum of 280 students in the entire competition.)
- The entry forms have a field at the top where you can indicate if you’d like us to contact you for the second round of entries.
- Once we see numbers entered we can reach out to those schools who indicated they may have more students to enter.
- These schools will need to enter extra students by deadline 2 – Friday 26 February 2021.
- Please collect the money for all your students (at your end). The Toowoomba Chess Club will invoice your school for the total amount of students from your school after the event.
- Please arrange to let your child/ren’s school know if they are available to play and advise ASAP.
- It is recommended that students bring bottled water on the day.
- In the canteen there will be chips, lollies, snacks and soft drinks available for sale run by the HOST school. Social distancing must be practiced lining up to buy.
- Please pack any other food and drink, e.g. lunch for your child/ren.
- There is a café up at the church – coffee and bagels available for sale from 7.30am to 3.30pm
- Parents/family members/friends etc ARE NOT ALLOWED to attend due to number restrictions unless there are extreme circumstances.
The club has converted over to an electronic contact tracing system, so all adults being teachers and volunteers will need to scan the QR code with the camera on their phone and register their details. (Students do not need to register, only the school supervisor that stays with them.)
Social Distancing and Hand Sanitising
Social distancing will be in force at the tournament along with hand sanitisation as you arrive, and before each round for the players.
General photographs of the playing venue and the children (as a whole) playing will be taken on the day by the Toowoomba Chess Club and may be added to our website or Facebook Page.
How to Get There
Please see map below of where the tournament is located.
Sickness on the Day
If a child has cold or flu like symptoms, or is feeling unwell please keep them home and do not attend this event. Contact us ASAP so we know on 0413147494 with child’s name and school. Withdrawal on the day will not be charged for if due to illness.
Please direct all enquiries to Sam Buckley, Toowoomba Chess Club on 0413 147 494 or email to email@example.com.
The red cross shows the location of the tournament.